Mastering Professional Corporate Headshots
In the fast-paced and competitive world of business, first impressions can make all the difference. Professional corporate headshots play a crucial role in establishing a favorable initial impression, as they convey professionalism, credibility, and approachability. They serve as a window into a person’s personality, competence, and dedication to their work. Whether it’s for a LinkedIn profile, company website, or marketing materials, a well-executed corporate headshot can leave a lasting impact on potential clients, colleagues, and employers. However, despite their importance, getting the perfect professional headshot can present challenges and concerns.
This article aims to address common issues such as finding the right photographer, selecting the appropriate style, and ensuring a comfortable and relaxed photoshoot experience. By understanding and appreciating the significance of professional corporate headshots, individuals can better navigate these challenges and present themselves in the best possible light.
Below you will find my best tips that everyone should know before booking their first professional corporate headshot photo session.
Choosing a Professional Corporate Headshot Studio
Booking the Right Photographer
When it comes to booking the right photographer for your professional corporate headshot, thorough research and evaluation are key. Start by exploring different photographers and their portfolios to get a sense of their style and expertise. Take the time to visit their websites and assess the quality of their work.
Look for a consistently high standard that spans a number of years, indicating their commitment to delivering exceptional results. Pay attention to the confidence and professionalism portrayed by the individuals in their photos, as stress lines and nervous expressions can undermine the overall impact.
Additionally, delve into their social media presence to gauge the feedback and reviews from previous clients. By considering these factors, you can ensure that you choose a professional corporate headshot studio that meets your expectations with a track record of excellence.
If it’s your first time booking a professional corporate headshot photographer it can be tempting to find the cheapest person local to you or assume that your friend can take one with your phone because the photos are all pretty much the same.
The truth is there is a world of difference between a professionally lit, expertly posed, and artfully captured professional headshot taken by an experienced photographer than one your friend might take even when using the same expensive camera.
Be sure you know what you are looking for when searching for a professional corporate headshot studio and once you know what to look for, then you’ll feel confident you’re getting quality, professionalism, service, and value for money. Don’t just find the cheapest photographer because it’s likely the photos won’t serve your purpose.
What to look out for:
- Go to the last page on the photographer’s website, is there a consistently high standard spanning a number of years?
- Do the people look confident in the photos, or are there tell-tale stress lines around the eyes and mouth?
- What do others say on social media? Can you track how the photos were used across websites and their social media presence?
- Find the photographer’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, do you gel with their vibe and personality?
Further reading: take a look at what others have said after working with me
A ‘good’ professional corporate headshot photo will:
- Look like you
- Show your personality
- Feel polished, professional, and classy
- Be well exposed and confidently posed
- Have light, natural edits that showcase your best features
- Be from the shoulder upwards
- Can be either portrait or horizontal
- Have a neutral background either a solid grey or trees in the background
- Put the focus on your features without distractions
If you are on a tight budget, the headshot specials are affordable for everyone.
This can be a real shocker for some people whose only experience of photography is the old-fashioned flashbulb on top of a large, black camera. Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the idea of needing your professional corporate headshot portrait taken quickly that you forget that not all photographers feel confident switching from natural light to studio flash.
If you are likely to change your plans at the last minute, you are booking in the winter months, or need a combination of outdoor and studio-style photography, it can be crucial to research your photographer’s style and experience.
What to look for:
- Does your photographer use outdoors, a studio, your office space, your home, or a mixture of all the above. If you need flexibility then you’ll want to find a photographer that can adapt the session at short notice. This is what I did for Matt and Hannah when the weather changed our plans.
- If you know how you want to use your photographs and where they will be seen, use this information to work backward and hire a professional corporate headshot photographer that can meet your brief.
- Deciding on the style and feel of the headshots can also determine which photographer to hire. Do you want professional, corporate headshots or stylish, modern headshots with a contemporary twist? If so, a studio photographer is your best bet.
Further reading: see a full session combing flash, studio, and outdoor portraiture
The most important thing to look for when booking your professional corporate headshot picture might just surprise you! What really matters is not the well-exposed photographs I mentioned above, it’s how the photographer makes you feel and how they conduct their business. Always prioritize what’s important to you, and don’t compromise on the details.
If you are investing in professional photography, you should be picky about what you get.
Things to check:
- Payment plans
- Wet weather contingencies
- Cancellation fees
- Payment policies
- Requests for additional edits
- Whether they do print or digital only
Since you are likely to be booking a photographer based on their online headshot portfolio, it makes sense to use these tips before booking so you can avoid confusion and disappointment after your session.
You can see my portrait agreement here and each client receives a ‘Welcome Packet’ outlining what to expect at each stage of the process.
Get in touch if you’d like to see a copy.
Knowing what to look for when you’re booking your professional corporate headshot portraits can make your experience a lot easier and more enjoyable.
I hope this list of things to consider has been useful. Of course, everybody has different needs when it comes to feeling confident about your session, but this list should take care of most things.
If you have any further questions, you can send me a message on 07719316609 or use the contact form below.