Outdoor Performer Headshots: The Next Frontier of Professional Portraits
When it comes to capturing your personality, there’s nothing like a good outdoor performer headshot. But with so many different poses and locations available, how can you decide which is the best for you?
As a professional performer, you need to have a look that sets you apart from the crowd. Performers and creatives looking to update their headshots can take advantage of our performer photo sessions. With our outdoor performer headshot sessions, we’ll take engaging photos of you in natural settings. Or in front of a neutral grey studio backdrop (great for skin tones). Either way, you’ll create your most stunning headshots ever.
When you have an outdoor photo session, you can use your time to get creative with your headshot. I often ask, “How do agents directors cast you?” this gives us a baseline from which to launch your profile. With various expressions and personas, we can produce portfolio-worthy headshots that give you the best chance of being hired. Our outdoor performer headshots are fully supported with expression guidance and posing.
What are outdoor headshots?
Outdoor headshots are a way to capture your personality and the environment that best reflectors your performer’s persona.
Outdoor performer headshots are photographs taken to create agency or portfolio images, they are 8×10 format and are framed from the collar bone upwards. I capture your performer headshots in portrait and landscape format to give us a full range of options. If you are looking to update your performer profile, one or two headshots are sufficient. Others ask for full body and mid-length personal portraits too. Your outdoor performer headshots are professionally edited and delivered in colour and monochromatic.
Related: Modern headshots outdoors
How do outdoor headshots work?
I try to make things as easy as possible for you. Booking is via email, phone, or direct message on social media sites. Your date and location will be reserved once the deposit is paid. A week before your session a ‘Welcome Guide’ ebook with full style advice and what to wear suggestions is delivered via email. Most performers enjoy preparing for their session and will send screenshots of the clothes they are considering for the last-minute advice.
We meet in an outdoor location in Ryde and all the details are sent to you ahead of time. To shake off first-time nerves, we walk to the quiet location together and get to know each other. The client below confided I made her feel instantly at ease and I think it shows in the photos.
The outdoor headshots are taken in the same location as the studio background headshots. Keeping sessions fast-flowing, flexible, and easy-going is my secret to generating dazzling smiles in your headshots. You will have your choice of frames and backgrounds for your outdoor headshots.
The outdoor performer portraits include two professionally edited photographs delivered via WeTransfer. There is an option to purchase more outdoor headshots if you would like.
The benefits of outdoor headshots
- Faster than studio headshots sessions (30 minutes)
- Less expensive than full branding headshots in a studio.
- They provide a unique way to document your performer’s profile
- Working outdoors is great for looking relaxed and spontaneous
- Natural light is always the most flattering
The disadvantages of outdoor headshots
- No mirrors to check your makeup
- Full performer headshot sessions require longer than 30 minutes
- You have to walk to the location
- Time is limited
How to look natural in your headshots
There’s no shame in admitting that you’re self-conscious about your appearance in photographs. After all, no one is completely happy with their mug shot, and the Internet is nothing if not a breeding ground for Photoshopping nightmares. But there are ways to look natural in photographs without resorting to filters or Photoshop wizardry.
Here are six tips:
1) Stick to simple hairstyles that won’t require much styling. Wavy hair is a good option because it can be styled straight or curly, and you can also add waves using a flat iron or curling wand. Avoid hairstyles with too many layers or too much texture – these will make you look more artificial. Pack a small can of hairspray because there are always breezes on the Isle of Wight and hair blowing across your face is distracting.
2) Wear natural makeup that won’t require too much application (avoid heavy contouring). I always recommend wearing day makeup but a little heavier than normal. Makeup for performer headshots should complement your features without distracting the casting director from your personality.
3) My job is to light you in the most flattering way. I use a mixture of natural light and studio light to create a spring-like complexion that looks completely natural. In fact, my signature style is open, honest, and fresh photography that looks like you on a good day. I achieve this with masterful use of light to contour your face without making it look too flashy.
4) Wear solid colours, long sleeve tops, and tailored outfits. Keep your wardrobe choices simple. So we keep the focus on your face.
5) Smile with confidence, but not too much!
Most importantly, relax and enjoy yourself!
Related: What to wear
Outdoor headshots are a great way to capture your personality and show off your acting skills!
In conclusion, outdoor headshots are a great way to capture your personality and show off your acting skills. They provide a natural and relaxed setting, which is perfect for portraying your true self. So if you’re looking for an amazing headshot that will show off your personality, consider heading outdoors!
Whether you’re a performer, actor, or just starting out in your modeling career, you want to look your best. A great headshot can make you look confident and help you network with other professionals. If you’re looking for a Spotlight headshot, be sure to consult with my professional photography studio so we can help you achieve the look you’re going for.
My sessions teach you how to look confident in your outdoor act headshots. Book now at +44 (0)7719316609 or use the email below. Being Isle of Wight-based, I often conduct acting headshots outdoors around Ryde and in my Seaview home studio. Get in touch now.