Author headshots on the Isle of Wight, Ryde
Planning a headshot session is similar to coordinating a holiday and, like any adventure, it’s helpful to know how to get there! You’ll need to know your starting point and the route you’re going to take – do you want traditional portraits, carefree lifestyle sessions, styled sessions with coordinated outfits?
Knowing your starting point helps avoid unnecessary detours through uncharted waters, with the niggling doubt that you’ve taken a wrong turn! What if I only need prints? Could I use a coffee table book? How can I use digital negatives?
How to create natural portraits
using this handy roadmap to success
I want to give you 5 handy essentials to ensure your journey into booking a author portrait session is as detailed and as useful as possible.
01. What do I want? The first thing to do is decide WHY you want to hire a photographer? Are you celebrating an event, like a birthday or new chapter in your life? Is your family wanting to record a key event or memory?
DECIDE IF YOU LIKE THE PHOTOGRAPHER
02. Who shall I work with? Some times it’s easier to overcome the hurdle of booking a professional photographer by taking each stage, step by step. Pick up the phone. Have a conversation. Ask a few questions. Decide whether you like the person on the end of the line. The more you learn about the photographer, the easier it will be make the jump to book your author photo shoot in Ryde.
Further reading: what to say to your headshot photographer
PLAN THE DETAILS
03. Plan on-line? Once you choose a date and location. The planning stage begins. Let the photographer do this for you. Ask them for your welcome pack, on the day guide and what to wear style guide (ask to see my ebooks).
You’re guaranteed success if you plan simply – flattering outfits, comfortable styles and jewel colours such as coral, emerald or sapphire layered with organic base colours.
Further reading: What to wear to author photos
ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS
04. When can I see my photos? Right at the end of the sesson, there’s always one last question. When can I see my photos? Your photographer should be able to highlight a timeline for when the Facebook previews are revealed, when your blog is released and when your print order will be ready for sharing with friends and family. You need to know exactly what you are getting and when your art work will arrive.
Further reading: How it works // Adding clarity to your session
SEEING YOUR IMAGES
05. Do I get digital images? Photography prices and packages can be confusing. Without holding a framed print or placing a canvas on your mantel piece, how do you know what you want? Let’s make it easy. I make a gift of websize images with each and every package. That way, you get to share your lovely memories easily.
Further reading: My smallest package starts with 3 photographs delievered within 48 hours
I hope you find these tips helpful and that your next natural portrait session in London is a hoot. I’d love to know which tip you think is the most helpful, your thoughts on the blog, and all things photographic! I’ll be posting more ideas next week, see you again. Mandy
Subscribe below for ideas on what to wear, exclusive rewards, and my monthly offers
BOOKING FOR EXPRESSIVE HEADSHOTS
Please contact the Isle of Wight Studio on +44 (0)1983 617383 or Mandy on +44 (0)7719316609 or email [email protected] and tell me about your new camera!